and Show & Tell
PRIDE CITY QUILT GUILD
Minutes - 17 May 2021
The inquiry slips about vaccination status showed that 83% of today's attendance has been fully vaccinated. Most of us decided to forego our masks.
Minutes - approved as published.
- As of the end of April, the Balances in our accounts: General Acct, $2421; Quilt Show Acct, $1280, and Raffle Acct, $537. The report will be filed for audit.
- Today - Katya Holen on How to Keep Your Quilt Points Sharp.
- June - Fabric Sale - $2/yd cottons, $3/yd batiks. We will not cut fabric - buy the whole piece, yardage is marked. Cash, and checks for the amount only made payable to PCQG. Also, we will have a Sew Day with kits to make lap quilts for local seniors in nursing homes, and kits for charity quilts that go to the Nurse/Family Partnership and the YWCA shelter. Bring a lunch (and maybe a chair!) to eat outside between the Sale and sewing.
- July - we will have some mini workshops.
- August - a Sew Together guided by Mary Kay, to make an Open Wide Bag. $10 to participate. Information about purchase of the pattern and supplies will be in the Newsletter next month.
- Another Sew Together will be held in the Fall to make a Moravian Star. This is an English Paper Piecing project and would make a nice Christmas gift!
- November - a mystery quilt will be led by Peggy.
- December - while we cannot have a Potluck in the church, we hope to have some kind of Christmas luncheon - perhaps a box lunch or something catered/served to minimize handling of food and utensils. Brochures from prospective food business would be appreciated - give to Mary Kay or Peggy.
Committee Reports -
- Presentation Cases - Esther brought 5 today.
- Welcome/Sunshine - 44 members today, including a couple new ladies! Drawing for one yard of fabric, for wearing her name tag: Priscilla Palacio.
- Charity Quilts - Agnes has several kits available today. There are also kits for Lap Quilts available today - see Linda Pace.
- Membership - We had 44 members present today. Dues for 2021 are being accepted - $25 by cash or check. Please fill out a form and turn in with your money. A new roster is available today - printed copy is 25 cents.
- Fat Quarters - only a few of the Blues today. Drawing: Peggy Gonzales, Kay Loudenberry. Next month's fat quarter theme is Patriotic.
- In-House Drawing - #1/ charm pack/set of templates/book (Allie Russell). #2/ box of pins/socks/book (Shari). #3/ LED light/socks/mug w/tools (Dianna Hardwick). A special drawing for a new Brother DesignNCut (model DC200ULE) will be held at the June meeting. Tickets are $1/ea or 6/$5, and will be sold at the April, May and June meetings.
- Our Bylaws have not been updated in more than five years. Accordingly, a proposed revision was prepared by our Parliamentarian. It was announced at the April meeting and emailed to the membership on April 23, 2021 (one week following the April meeting). Advance notice of two weeks is required prior to a vote.
- The proposed revision allows for electronic communications within the Guild for such activities as Board meetings, RSVPs for guild meetings, etc. Other housekeeping changes were also included - change of "Love Quilts" to "Charity Quilts", change of "needy" to "those in need", etc.
- Motion to accept these Revised Bylaws and Policies was made by Maryellen Naughton, seconded by Teresa Grice. Motion passed unanimously with no comments or discussion. [A link to the Revised Bylaws has been added to the Resources page on our website.]
- The Button Jar contest winner was announced: Joy Sterner. The Jar held 3321 buttons - Joy's guess was the closest at 3314. Another dozen guesses were within 10 of the actual number! The prize included 1 yd of yellow fabric, 1-½ yds of print fabric, nearly 2 yds of green fabric, a tape measure and key ring from MSQC, and a $20 gift certificate to First Stitches.
- Tickets for the Olde Schoolhouse Quilters Raffle Quilt Sacred Mountains are available today from Kay Loudenberry or Yvonne Cleaver. As always, $1/each or 6/$5. The drawing will be held at the conclusion of the OSQ Annual Quilt Show: Labor Day weekend, Thurs-Sun Sep 2-5, 10:00a-5:00p at Lange Hall, 312 S. 3rd St. in Westcliffe. You can find Olde Schoolhouse Quilters on Facebook.
- Check out the Announcements page of our own website (pridecityquilters.org) to find two sewing tables for sale by one of our members. Also find the announcement of two opportunities to earn some extra spending money - sewists are needed by two local businesses.